Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Chores according to an 8 year old girl named Madisen

Ok. So - for those of us that are already "grown up", raise your hand if you were raised having "chores" that you had to do. I am definitely raising my hand. I remember at Madisen's age having to help a lot around the house because my mom worked full-time and let's face it, it takes an entire family working together to make a house run smoothly.

While Madisen was "off-track" I would leave her a small list of "chores" that I wanted her to accomplish while I was at work. Surprisingly, she is a good at vacumning, emptying the dishwasher, etc. Often times she would say to me....

Madisen: Mom - what is this?
Me: It is your list of things I would like you to do today.
Madisen: Do I have to?
Me: Yes, Madisen. These are your "chores" and there are not very many.
Madisen: Chores? Mom - this is not 'Little House on the Prairie"
Me: Be careful, or else it could be.

So - Madisen did a great job while she was off track of making her bed, picking up her room, helping her dad cook dinner etc.

On Sunday the speakers at church were a recently returned missionary and a member of the high council. The high council member gave a really good talk about "assignments" and embracing the assignments in life that we are given or are called to.

He related a story of his 10 year old daughter and how she hated the different assignments around the house that they gave her because she was the oldest. He also said that it was good for her because she had become more responsible and had set a good example for her siblings.

I leaned over to Madisen and said to her....
"see you are not the only one in the world that has chores and responsibilities".
In her own way Madisen looked up at me and in a very NOT quiet way said:
"It's slavery I tell you. Pure slavery."

I looked around to see several rows of people trying to hold in their laughs. Since we were sitting the 2nd row back from the front in the chapel, and the speaker looked our direction, I am sure that many heard her comment. I tried really hard to not laugh too, but just tried to reassure Madisen that it was not "slavery" at all.

For some reason, I can remember some of these same feelings as a kid. I am so grateful that my parents taught me how to work and taught me all about responsibilities. I hope Madisen will feel that way too when she is older. :0)

6 comments:

Amy A. said...

oh that girl.. she cracks me up!! I can not wait until ALL mine are of the age that I can use them as "slaves"

Sarah said...

Isn't that why we have kids? I thought that as a child...

Charayne said...

That is totally funny. I remember feeling that way to. Since my mom worked full time and I was the oldest I had to help and and learned quickly responsibility. I am thankful now for that as I am able to see what a good life working hard brings. Some day when she has her own home she will be thankful for your direction as a mother in helping her learn responsibility. Just remember that story. It will be a fun one to tell when she is older. See ya this weekend???

I am Melfy said...

Oh that is so funny! Little House on the Prairie, Slavery, goodness... Where do kids come up with this stuff? And how does she even know about Little House on the Prairie? That's old skool!

Tami said...

Oh How I love that Madisen! We can all relate to the "slavery" feeling, but realized not too much later that it was a great lesson in life.

Dorey said...

Kid's say the funniest things. =) We missed you at Regina's baby shower and then at Card club, I hope you are feeling well. TTYL =)