Sunday, July 12, 2009

The passing of an icon.....

So I am sure that everyone knows that Michael Jackson has passed away. I will admit that I was a total and complete fan of his in junior high. I carried around a small notebook with his picture on it that I wrote all of my homework in. (Yes - I made a "list"). But he is not the icon I am talking about.....

Farah Fawcett I thought was one of the coolest ladies on television growing up. Yes, somehow, I too wanted to talk to the box with a voice and make a difference in the world. This too is not the icon I am talking about....


The icon to our family was also known as "Kris", "Grandma Kris", and "Nama". She was a super courgeous woman and humble in every way. She always made me feel like I was the best mom in the world - when in reality, I had no idea what in the world I was doing!!! She made such a huge impact on my daughter with her love and testimony that I will forever be grateful. It is through a family member that we met her. We love that family dearly and our hearts ache for their loss. We also know that we can see her again if we can just have the type of faith she had. We love you Nama and everything you showed us by your example. Till we meet again.

Kristine Anderson Johnston
(April 2, 1951 - July 8, 2009)
Our cherished wife, mother, sister, and grandmother passed away peacefully at her home in Elk Ridge, UT on July 8, 2009 at the age of 58 after battling cancer. Kris was born April 2, 1951 in Springville UT and was the third of seven children born to Mays and Orpha Anderson. She is remembered by her siblings as being a spunky and humorous child. Kris graduated from Springville High School in 1969 and soon thereafter attended BYU where she received a Bachelor of Science degree in Secondary Education. While pursuing her education she met Steven C. Johnston and they were married in the SLC Temple on November 16, 1973. They enjoyed nearly 36 years of marriage together. During this time she served in many church capacities, lived in various locations, including England and Malaysia. Kris and her husband served an LDS humanitarian mission in Bucharest, Romania. All of these, plus many other experiences, blessed her with an increased amount of faith and understanding of Heavenly Father's plan for His children. Kris will always be remembered for her compassion, acts of service, love for her family and those around her, and above all ... faith in her Savior Jesus Christ.
Kris is survived by her husband Steven, her five children: Matt (Monica) Johnston, Amy (Neil) Andersen, Laurie (Kevin) Wilson, Dana (Mark) Purcell, and Katie (Jeremy) Bailey, her eleven grandchildren, and her siblings: Cheryl, Dave, Jim, Kay, Michael and Dane. She is preceded in death by her parents Mays and Orpha Anderson, and her granddaughter Lindsey Kate Johnston.

A viewing will be held Monday July 13, 2009 from 10:00 to 11:30 at the Payson East Stake Elk Ridge 6th Ward Chapel located at 185 E. Ridge View Dr. in Elk Ridge, UT. Funeral services will follow at noon. Interment will be held at the Springville Evergreen Cemetery.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

That was beautiful, thank you for that. I got a message from Laurie saying that her mom had passed away. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of the Johnston family.

Mama! said...

So young! I'm sorry for your loss Heather. Sounds like one great lady.

Amy A. said...

Heather - I was truly touched by your tribute to my mom. Thank you for all the love and support you have shown her through the years. She loved you and your family so much. Thank you for being there yesterday and for the wonderful sister that you are to me.

Dana P said...

Thank you so much for that Heather. As the days go by, I realize just how big of an impact my mom made in so many lives. I always knew she was awesome, but I am so happy to hear everyone else thought so too! Thank you for your support and love.